[XML-SIG] 'searching' XML documents to extract 'chunks' of XML

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:10:13 +0000

> [ excellent description of XSL snipped for future ref.]

>>So I guess *now* I'm asking - how do you create a DOM given that you have a
>>well-formed XML document to feed it...
>
> 	There's a section on that in the HOWTO:
> http://www.python.org/doc/howto/xml/node12.html .  The easiest way
> would be to read from a file:
>
> from xml.dom import utils
> reader = utils.FileReader('foo.xml')
> reader.document is then the root of the DOM tree.

Andrew, this is *a real help*. Thanks for the information, now all I
need to do is to figure out how to plumb the DOM into the XSL module
of Dieters' and I *think* I'm away.

This is very refreshing for me - I've come from the XML-DEV and XML-L
lists - and using Python I can start to see that some of the things I
wanted to do are at least possible! (won't do Java, *can't* do Perl).

Tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2