[XML-SIG] New DOM code checked in

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
22 Mar 1999 16:23:14 +0100

* Andrew M. Kuchling

|         * Namespace support for DOM

Shouldn't this wait for the next DOM WD in the hope that this part of
the DOM will be fleshed out then? It seems pointless to me to
implement this now only to have it obsoleted by the next draft.

| Namespace support for SAX can wait until the SAX2 discussions on
| xml-dev converge on a specification.

Yup. I'll initiate a discussion here on the Python mapping once the
Java interfaces seem more or less stable. When agreement has been
reached here I'll go off and implement it.

| [Unicode] Now I have no idea what to do; switch to using Fredrik's
| code and adapt PyExpat to it, stick with Martin's module, or what?

I'm in a similar quandary. I'd very much like to add Unicode support
to xmlproc, but to do that I need support in RE. Any feedback on what
Guido thinks and what the others here think would be welcome.

Anyway, we should think about this and consider which in-memory
representation we want (UTF-8 or UCS-2), whether we want to always use
it and so on...

| The rest of the items on the TODO list are smaller -- documentation,
| re-indenting some files, etc.

What about the factory I proposed here earlier? It would be nice to
know whether that is on the list, and if so, where.

| Anyway, I'm hoping to do a 0.5.1 release later this week, which will
| probably be followed fairly quickly by a 0.5.2 release to fix any
| installation glitches.

I'm still hoping to do xmlproc 0.61 this week and it still seems
possible. Maybe Wednesday...

--Lars M.