[XML-SIG] SAX2: General issues

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ifi.uio.no
27 Mar 1999 20:20:46 +0200

The basic philosophy of SAX (as David Megginson defines it) is to be
as low-level as possible, to enable as many different kinds of
services as possible to be built on top of SAX. If this means that SAX
becomes a bit awkward to use directly, that's less important, the
higher-level services are supposed to take care of that. So far, we've
followed this philosophy in the Python version as well, and I think we
shold continue that way.

Also, so far we've mimiced the Java interface almost 100% percent,
even down to naming. I think the naming was a mistake (since we need a
PySAX driver for use with JPython anyway), but that once we've made it
we should stick with it.

I think we should try to stay as close to the Java interface as
possible, to make PySAX easy to use in JPython and also to ensure that
when a C/C++ version happens, PySAX can easily use it.

Last time, we added some extra things to the Python version, and I
think we might well do so this time around as well. I think that
whatever JavaSAX does we should have some kind of defined support for
parser filters.

Beyond that I haven't really got any ideas for really new features at
the moment. Does anyone else have things they'd like to see added?

The last question is, which package shold we place the new stuff in?
xml.sax2? xml.sax?

--Lars M.