[XML-SIG] Another SAX Suggestion

Walter Underwood wunder@infoseek.com
Tue, 04 May 1999 08:43:52 -0700

At 01:03 PM 5/1/99 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:

>How about if we give HandlerBase a single initialization parameter which
>is the stream to output to. If you are a server or GUI app writer all you
>need to do is pass in a null output stream to get the error handling you
>want.

I would slightly prefer a base that did nothing, with a supplied
subclass that wrote to stderr. The stream parameter wouldn't be
useful in our code, since our log interface isn't a stream.

>Anyhow, I find it hard to believe that either Infoseek or PythonWare is
>going to write a search engine or graphics renderer and forget to think
>about where error messages should go!

We just don't like modifying the guts of libraries to get there.

> [...] More likely it is the hordes of
>simple filter writers who will forget -- so the default should be
>optimized for them.

We're on the same page here, but I'd rather see the stderr stuff
used in the sample code. Most of those filters will be a thousand
lines of code added to the sample code anyway.

wunder

--
Walter R. Underwood
wunder@infoseek.com