[XML-SIG] handle_entityref not being called

Michelle Mills Strout Michelle Mills Strout <mstrout@ucsd.edu>
Fri, 28 May 1999 11:13:25 -0700 (PDT)

I am using the XMLParser class which is part of the xmllib.  I would like
to define my own entity references of the form "&beta;".  In the process
of doing this I found that the function handle_entityref isn't actually
called with an entity reference is called.  I stepped through the
following function with the debugger.

myxmlparser.feed("<formattedstring>&alpha;</formattedstring>")

If handle_entityref were called I could override unknown_entityref and do
my own processing.  However, now unless I put my entity references in the
entitydefs mapping I get a syntax error.  I don't want to put entity
references in the entitydefs mapping because then I don't have any hooks
to do my own processing.

Upon doing a search through the xmllib.py source (version = '0.2') I found
that handle_entityref is in fact not called anywhere in that code.  Do I
have the wrong version of xmllib?  (I have the most recent Python Mac
version so hopefully this isn't the case).  Can anyone help me remedy this
situation?

Thanks,
Michelle Strout