[XML-SIG] foo.bar vs. foo.get_bar()

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 12:16:44 -0700

> >From those who understand the details of the DOM and CORBA specs it's
> not clear to me yet that using attribute syntax is _not_ also
> conformant (i.e. the Python IDL binding may have been unnecessarily
> restricted).  The spec fragments from DOM and CORBA posted here both
> seem to support and allow attribute syntax, as well as providing a
> convention for languages that don't have attribute syntax or the
> necessary internals.

I would have agreed with you a few minutes ago, but the inestimable Martin
Loewis just pretty much demolished the argument for __[g/s]etattr__ as the
binding for CORBA attributes on the do-sig.

I therefore pretty much give up the argument that we should use Python
attributes because the W3C used CORBA attributes.  I still like using Python
attributes just because they are clean and Pythonic, and I think that it can
be done in a way that doesn't foul up inheritance too badly.

Like everyone else, though, I'm coming around to Paul's view that Python needs
efficiently-implemented attributes-with-behavior.

Petitions to Guido, anyone?  In the unlikely event that I have some free time
in the near future, I might look into a demo patch.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants