[XML-SIG] Scriptics Connect

Aaron Metzger ametzger@varcom.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:15:51 -0400

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Scriptics (John Ousterhout's Tcl/Tk company) has launched an XML
> offensive called Scriptics Connect.
>
> See http://www.scriptics.com/products/connect/

This may be a bit off topic (and probably obvious to a well informed
SIG) but I thought I would share my "workaround" for achieving XML/XSLT
support in Python from existing mature components...

I "worked around" the lack of complete XML support in Python by using
JPython and then taking advantage of the excellent java XML parser from
IBM available at:

  www.alphaworks.ibm.com  (source available but not "open")

and the XSLT processor (XSL:P) available at:

  www.clc-marketing.com/xslp  (open source)

XSLP can be used with other parsers such as the openxml parser.

XSLP also allows you to plug in your own scripting engine (non-standard
extension) to use within element transforms.  I plugged JPython in as my
choice of scripting engine.

In this way I ended up with Python above and Python below with just a
bit of Java squeezed in the middle.

--
Aaron