[XML-SIG] XBEL features

uche@ieee.org uche@ieee.org
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:45:46 -0400

> While we're on the subject of XBEL, I really like it; however, it would be
> great if it supported the 'description' field in Netscape.
>
> Why? I've written a quick-n-dirty Netscape bookmark parser that formats
> bookmarks and folders of them into HTML. It uses the description field to
> both enable displaying a description, and to give the parser hints as to
> whether the folder / item should be displayed.

[snip]

> It would be great to do this with XBEL to make it cross-browser, but I
> really need that description field support. Possible? (I don't know if there
> is a description analogue, or safe way to store it, in the other bookmark
> formats out there).

IIRC, it was the lack of portability that did in the description field for
XBEL.  But I don't see why this should bother you.  Using DOM (any DOM), It
would be quite trivial complement ns_parse and xbel_parse with post-processing
scripts that add in and strip description fields.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants