[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 and XML

11 Apr 2000 10:21:49 +0200

* Paul Prescod

| Did I miss a discussion of how much of saxlib we want to put
| into Python 1.6 alpha 2, and under what packaging structure?

Uh, if you did, then so did I.

| I think we all agree that "import pyexpat" is only marginally better
| than "import xmllib" in terms of portability and longevity.

Yes.

| I don't think we have the option of waiting for SAX 2 so we either
| need to use SAX 1 or a SAX 2 pre-release.

Then I think we should go for a pre-release. I have had one with a
couple of demo drivers sitting at home waiting to be released for a
while, but have so far been putting it off. I can release this stuff
tonight, so that people can look at it.

We still have a couple of unresolved issues left, but we should be
able to clear those up quickly.

| We should be able to support SAX on PyExpat with no runtime cost
| because SAX "handlers" map basically one-to-one to Expat handlers, I
| think. If there are any that are slightly different then we can work
| out the mapping in the pyexpat DLL instead of in Python code.

There are some differences, such as the Attributes interface used to
represent attributes, but this should be easy to work out from C code.

--Lars M.