[XML-SIG] Re: XML-SCHEMA

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:22:48 -0500

Andy Heath wrote:

> For me the major point is the ability to reference other schemas
> within a schema.  This give a tool for abstraction that
> is otherwise absent.  It seems to me that this particular
> mechanism is sorely needed.

XML DTDs have always been able to refer to and build on other XML DTDs.

XML schemas are marginally better than DTDs at abstraction but I think
that both have a fatal flaw in that their abstraction mechanisms only
work on the tree data structure and do nothing for links. What real
application does not rely on links?

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html