[XML-SIG] XML-SCHEMA

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:49:32 -0500

Andy Heath wrote:

> > XML schemas are marginally better than DTDs at abstraction but I think
> > that both have a fatal flaw in that their abstraction mechanisms only
> > work on the tree data structure and do nothing for links. What real
> > application does not rely on links?
>
> Exactly.

Let me hasten to point out that while I really do think that this is a
flaw in XML Schema (for abstractions, not in general) I certainly did
not understand the situation when the schema group started its work and
so I don't blame anyone else for not recognizing it sooner. Abstraction
in XML is H A R D.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html