[XML-SIG] XML-SCHEMA

Steven R. Newcomb srn@techno.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:11:37 -0500

> Andy Heath wrote:

> > > XML schemas are marginally better than DTDs at abstraction but I think
> > > that both have a fatal flaw in that their abstraction mechanisms only
> > > work on the tree data structure and do nothing for links. What real
> > > application does not rely on links?
> >
> > Exactly.

[Paul Prescod:]
> Let me hasten to point out that while I really do think that this is a
> flaw in XML Schema (for abstractions, not in general) I certainly did
> not understand the situation when the schema group started its work and
> so I don't blame anyone else for not recognizing it sooner. Abstraction
> in XML is H A R D.

There is an ISO HyTime "common attribute" architectural form,
"reftype", that can be used to constrain the anchors of hyperlinks.
Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
srn@techno.com  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

voice: +1 972 517 7954
fax    +1 972 517 4571

Suite 211