[XML-SIG] DOM:core.py

Frank J.S. Chen frank63@ms5.hinet.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 05:08:55 -0000

Hi:

As I imported sax_builder to write a DOM parser, I've found
that my Chinese words can not represent as usual. Then I
tracked down the codes in core.py, and the problem seemed
to be located at the class Text. Here is the skeleton:

class Text(CharacterData):
    childNodeTypes = []
    nodeName = "#text"
    # Methods

    def __repr__(self):
        if len(self._node.value)<20: s=self._node.value
        else: s=self._node.value[:17] + '...'
        return '<Text node %s>' % (repr(s),)

The built-in function repr()  makes conversions to fit with eval()
, which then damage the encoding defined by other locales. It is
better to use str() to replace repr() for now. str() will return a string
if the passed value is the same as a string without any conversion:

  return '<Text node %s>' % (str(s),)

I deem it necessary that the truncated ouput constrained by the above
if-else blocks needs to be refined for a better output solution, or
mutiple-bytes words will still have bad outputs. It shouldn't do anything
harm to print all contents out within these elements.

~Frank Chen