[XML-SIG] Mixed encodings and XML

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:08:12 -0500

On Wednesday 13 December 2000 18:22, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Tom Emerson wrote:
> > > I need to convert the document to XML Docbook format.  My naive
> > > attempts at converting to
> > >
> > > <screen xml:lang="zh-TW">
> > > ... BIG5-encoded stuff ...
> > > </screen>
> > >
> > > Of course don't work because the parser takes one look at the BIG5 and
> > > throws a well-formedness error.
> >
> > Which it is required to do, see Section 4.3.3 of the XML specification.
>
> This is not really related to text encodings, but somewhat similar:
>
> Is there a standard way of including binary data in XML files ?

There is a standard solution defined for binary encoding in XML Schema.
Search for the term binary in http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/

The specification for binary encoding in XML Schema is at:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmlschema-2-20001024/#binary

Is anyone working on an XML Schema validator that works with the standard
Python XML library?