[XML-SIG] Oddities

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:44:37 -0700

> > Firstly, PyXML CVS wouldn't compile pyexpat because it couldn't find
> > extensions/expat/xmlparse/hashtable.c.  I just commented this out of
> > setup.py and it compiles fine now.
>
> Oops. I had an uncommitted fix for that in my setup.py...

Ah.  Never mind, though.  I checked it in with my pyexpat changes.

> > Secondly, it tries to place the docs at
> >
> > /usr/local/xmldoc
> >
> > Tsk.  tsk.  That should be
> >
> > /usr/local/doc/PyXML-<version>
> >
> > It looks, however, as if someone went to some length to avoid the standard
> > way, so I'd like to know why before fixing it.
>
> By default, setup.py should not install the doc files at all - what
> would be the standard way to have the installed there?

By "standard" I mean Linux standard.  I'm not sure if Solaris, etc. place docs
at the same spot.  But for Linux, vendor-packaged docs go in

/usr/doc/<package-name>-<package-version>

and third-party package docs to

/usr/local/doc/<package-name>-<package-version>

Actually, it looks as if Red Hat has started moving to the latter location for
all docs.  Anyway, every Python/distutils package I've installed follows this
convention and places its docs in /usr/local/doc/<package-name>
-<package-version>.  As does 4Suite, of course.

I think the default should be to install docs.  They are an important part of
the package.  Even better if people know exactly where to look for them.

> Again, it was a
> checkin error that it is installed - only that the doc2xmldoc=1 line
> should *not* have been committed :-(
>
> The intent here is that the doc files go into the RPM as %doc, are
> installed as xmldoc on Windows, and are not touched otherwise.

Hmm.  I think they should be installed by setup.py as well.