[XML-SIG] SAX 2.0 names

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:17:31 -0500 (EST)

THOMAS PASSIN writes:
 > In earlier posts I suggested tuples.  Fred and Lars' posts seem to be saying
 > that tuples shouldn't cause a bug performance hit, and that could possibly
 > be finessed anyway.  Have I summarized what you have said correctly, Fred
 > and Lars?

  That's my interpretation.

 > Then I think we should go with tuples, because
 > 1) They are easy for a non-expert Python programmer to understand and work
 > with,
 > 2) they capitalize on a Python strength (nice data structures),
 > 3) an expert can make them perform even better with extension modules, and
 > 4) as Fred said, if the extension module were not available one could fall
 > back to a 100% Python implementation with practically no changes to existing
 > code.

  The "object" I imagine has three attributes: namespace URI,
localpart, and prefix.  It would unpack to two values: URI &
localpart, and comparisons would only operate on those two as well.
  The advantage is that we get the prefix for those who want it,
single object comparisons, and no extraneous parameters to the call.
I don't think *this* is available using the non-object approaches.
Whether the objects are extension types or classes is irrelevant to
this.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>