[XML-SIG] Removing a set of DOM nodes

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 17:28:02 -0700

I think he's using PyDOM, because near the end of his message he spoke about
the "DOM Walker".  4DOM instead has a generic Visitor pattern implementation
(although a simple document-order visitor comes with it).

> if you use PyDOM (i.e. the DOM implementation of the XML SIG)
> then it will be sufficient to just remove the parent of the
> subtree. PyDOM uses proxies to avoid any cyclic references
> such that the usual Python garbage collection can clean
> up without problem.
> If you use 4DOM, the FourThought people should tell you
> about the necessary procedure to perform manual garbage
> collection.
> I assume, you must call a "destroy" method after the
> subtree has been removed from the tree. This will
> take care of any recursion down the tree.

Yes.  You just call ReleaseNode() on the node when you're done with it and it
will release the node and all descendants.

Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com	(970)481-0805
Software engineering, project management, Intranets and Extranets
http://FourThought.com		http://OpenTechnology.org