[XML-SIG] Pyx

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 21:29:11 -0500

Greg Stein wrote:

> People will work on what they want to work on. There is no way that you
> can (or should!) tell somebody "don't work on that!"

Somebody asked to put Pyxie into the Python standard library. There are
things I think are great about Pyxie (e.g. innovative navigation model,
sparse trees) and things that I think are not great (dependence on Pyx).
I have never said a word against Pyxie or Pyx and in fact I taught a few
people Pyxie at the last Python conference when Sean couldn't make it. I
think it is unfortunate that we haven't been able to merge Sean's best
ideas with ours but if Sean isn't interested in that then that's his
business.

We were asked point blank why Pyxie is not in Python 1.6. The reasons I
expressed are the truthful reasons I have never proposed that and would
not propose it for Python 1.7. Would you prefer if I were silent to
avoid hurting Sean's feelings? That was my first inclination, but what
happens when the issue comes up again and again?

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski