[XML-SIG] SAX Namespaces

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:49:48 -0500

Greg Stein wrote:

> > > #2. def startElement( self, (uri,localname,qname), attrs ):
>
> This form is a bit more difficult to work with the uri/localname pair when
> doing processing.

True, but easier to work with the triple when passing from module to
module -- which becomes a bigger deal when we start to talk about
attributes.

> This introduces a "mode" into the API. Depending on some flag, you get
> entirely different data.

Right. Depending on some flag *set by you*.

> In essence the variant structure of the return value does a disservice to
> creating a standard API. Depending on how the event generator is set up, you
> could get entirely different data.

That's a virtue, not a flaw. If you ask for namespace information you
get it. If you aren't interested, you don't see it.
The great era of mathematical physics is now over; the 300-year effort
represent the material world in mathematical terms has exhausted itself.
The
understanding it was to provide is infinitely closer than it was when
Isaac
Newton wrote in the late seventeenth centruy, but it is still infinitely
far
away.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm, by David Berlinski