[XML-SIG] SAX Namespaces

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:38:27 -0500

tpassin@home.com wrote:

> I'm not really disputing that current apps may use the prefix as the
> preferred NS designator.  I am pointing out that the Recs call for
> URI/localname pairs as the key identifiers.

Current RECs call for URI/localname pairs as identifiers. They also call
for rawnames as identifiers.

> >From the Candidate Rec for Level 2 DOM:
>
> "On the contrary, the DOM Level 2 methods related to namespaces, identify
> attribute nodes by their namespace URI and localName."

Right. And the methods unrelated to namespaces identify them by rawname.

> >From the XPath CR:
> "Some types of node also have an expanded-name, which is a pair consisting
> of a local part and a namespace URI. The local part is a string. The
> namespace URI is either null or a string. ...Two expanded-names are equal if
> they have the same local part, and either both have a null namespace URI or
> both have non-null namespace URIs that are equal."

That's the definition of expanded name. There is also a definition of
"name" which is equivalent to "rawname".

We need both.

XSLT, XPointer, XLink, etc. inherit the behavior from XPath.

> Please note, I'm only addressing tuning the apps to directly support the
> current recs/CRs.  I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to provide or use
> prefixes.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting concretely. You and I agree that
most of the current applications allow you to work based on the rawname
or the URI/localname pair. Therefore we need three pieces of
information. How do you suggest we should represent them?
"Computer Associates is expected to come in with better than expected
earnings." Bob O'Brien, quoted in
	- http://www.fool.com/news/2000/foth000316.htm