[XML-SIG] Zope and DOM

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 11:07:58 -0500

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > Reading the original message, I thought that the "tricky stuff" might
> > become available. If the dom-ification could stop at the "bookmark" level
> > in an XBEL file, the total amount of objects would drop significantly.
>
> This is precisely the tricky stuff we have in mind.  The current thinking is
> to use a (lightly) specialized XSLT transform to specify how elements are
> converted to ZObjects.

ZObjects or Zope DOM objects? There are two different use cases. In one
you want to get some objects into Zope and don't care about the XML
representation. Then you can throw away a lot of information -- not much
trickery involved. In the second, you want to be able to get back out
your XML document after storing it in Zope as DOM objects. Now you've
got conflicting goals of trying to keep the object count down while
trying not to throw away information about, e.g. the order of
paragraphs, the order of attributes, entity reference boundaries and so
forth. That's the really tricky situation.

Alabama's constitution is 100 years old, 300 pages long and has more
than
600 amendments. Highlights include "Amendment 393: Amendment of
Amendment
No.  351", "Validation of Laws Regulating Court Costs in Randolph
County",
"Miscegenation laws", "Bingo Games in Russell County", "Suppression
of dueling".  - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/ALISHome.html