[XML-SIG] Pyexpat

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan@home.com
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:22:12 -0600

Hi All--

[cc'd to Python-List in order to get this into FAQTS]

Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> Hi All--
> I've "installed" the PyXml distribution (0.5.4) and downloaded pyxie
> (from Sean McGrath) which uses pyexpat.  Despite having the pyexpat.dll
> in my winnt directory, it refuses to import:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named pyexpat
> >>>

> I know that when I get the answer to this, I'll be deeply embarassed
> since it is almost certainly something stupid that I'm doing/not doing
> (have we left anything out?), but I am prepared.

Tom Passin replied, yesterday:

> Subject: Re: [XML-SIG] Pyexpat
> Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:10:16 -0400
> From: <tpassin@home.com>
> To: "Python xml-sig" <xml-sig@python.org>
>
>  I had trouble getting pyexpat to import too, on Win95/98.  Right now I have
> it in both C:\Program FIles\python\dlls and C:\Program
> Files\Python\xml\parsers.  One of them works, but after all these months, I
> forget which one did the trick.  You need it in a python directory, rather
> than just a windows path directory, I think.

There were a couple of other suggestions, but they didn't work.  PyXml
installed into c:\Python\Lib\xml on my system, but failed to install
pyexpat.dll.  I copied it into c:\Python\Lib\xml\parsers, without
renaming it, and that fixed the problem.

The install should copy pyexpat.dll to the correct place, especially
since the install package comes with a pre-built one.  It should also be
in the FAQ, shouldn't it?

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

<luckily-i-didn't-*promise*-to-be-embarassed>-ly y'rs,
Ivan;-)
Ivan Van Laningham
Axent Technologies, Inc.
http://www.pauahtun.org
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours