[XML-SIG] PyExpat changes

Walter Underwood wunder@ultraseek.com
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:53:16 -0700

--On Friday, June 16, 2000 10:44 AM -0400 "Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:
>... (Oh, maybe we could just create expat.py; I'm not
> enthralled by having "py" in the module name, since I know perfectly
> well that I'm using Python.)

Do it. I changed that two years ago in the version integrated into
Ultraseek Server, partly because I made some other compatibility
changes and wanted to avoid conflicts. We're using a near-stock
version of 0.5.5 with Python 1.6 in the current development code.

Changing to dicts for the attributes was a bigger client code impact
than changing attribute/method names, so I don't object to that.

Last week, I also made the changes to use UTF-16 and Python Unicode
objects. I'll send you what I did. There are some tricky bits, especially
on Solaris, where wchar_t is int (32-bits) and Python uses unsigned short.
But it basically works on NT, Solaris, Linux, and HP-UX. We've only
exercised the most common handlers.

It also needed one of the infernal dllexport declarations on the init
function to be properly loaded from a DLL in 1.6a2.

I'll send it as soon as I can go to it (I'm on the Mac at home, the
bits are in CVS at work).

Oh, and the pyexpat README in the dist seems to be the wrong version.

Walter Underwood
Senior Staff Engineer, Ultraseek Corp.