[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 XML APIs

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:55:04 -0600

Catching up...

>   I am hesitant to say we'll accept several new modules for 1.6 at
> this point, however.  Perhaps it makes sense to pick a couple that
> offer the flexibility (saxlib?) and ease-of-use (pulldom? minidom?).
> If we can narrow it down quickly, I can talk to Guido about what
> should go in, but we're essentially at feature-freeze now.  We can be
> a little more flexible for library modules, but each module that gets
> added is essentially a promise that it'll be maintained for at least
> half of all eternity.  More, if anyone uses it.  ;)

While I was one of those pulling <ha> for minidom in Python 1.6, Fred's
comments do give me pause.  Maybe we should first meld it into the XML distro
and see if users like it.  What if we want interface changes (for instance, in
Paul's pulldom example it doesn't use the Python/DOM binding the xml-sig
agreed on)?  Then, all of a sudden we have legacy to consider.

It would be nice to fill that feature-list check-box for packaged Python, but
maybe it's worth goign cautiously and waiting for Python 1.7.  If minidom is
incorporated quickly into PyXML, it will be easy enough for any interested
users to give a spin.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101