[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 XML APIs

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:48:19 -0700

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> I'll admit to its simplicity, and the opportunity for lazy instantiation is
> attractive, but I don't think I'd tend to use it a great deal, which, I
> imagine, is OK.

I wouldn't expect XML power users to use it any more than they would
xmllib. Perhaps when you want to do something quick and don't want it to
be dependent on large software packages...(as you might use xmllib in
the same situation).

My primary concern is that we promised to maintain the simplicity of
xmllib in Python 1.6. A simple SAX (if we keep it simple) is only a
little bit more complicated than a xmllib. But full SAX (all handlers,
features, etc. ) is a lot more complicated. I think that pulldom is
simpler than either of them.
"Ivory towers are no longer in order. We need ivory
networks. Today, sitting quietly and thinking is the
world's greatest generator of wealth and prosperity."
 - http://www.bespoke.org/viridian/print.asp?t=140