[XML-SIG] Re: [DO-SIG] Python language bidning January 2000 Draft

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:23:20 -0700

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 08:38:49AM -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
> So let's design for the market we know we have (Python programmers who
> want an easy API) and not the market that I don't think we have (people
> who want to use Python DOMs from other languages and other language DOMs
> from Python). Interoperability among Python DOMs is enough. Bridges to
> Java and Microsoft COM DOMs would also be useful (and easy to write).

Well said!

I "violently agree" :-) with this position. Who the heck is going to expect
their Python code to be compiled by a C++ compiler? The code simply is not
going to port.

And when a Python programmer writes his code by looking at similar C++ code,
he is certainly going to be aware of the semantics of the foo() and foo(val)
methods. He'll map those straight into attribute accesses.

Adding complexity to the APIs to adhere to some non-Python language design
is a bit wonky. Keep it simple, and keep it focused on the Python programmer.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/