[XML-SIG] The '_' thingy

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:11:06 -0600

> Mike Olson wrote:
> >
> > So, I think I see this as a general concensius:
>
> Are you kidding?
>
> > 1.  DOM will never (in forseeable future) be used over an ORB, so the
> > IDL should be used as a guide.
>
> Uh, this doesn't make sense.

Please elaborate.

> > We should focus more on useability then
> > CORBA compliance.
> >
> > 2.  Most people will access the DOM via attributes.
>
> Who says? What do you have to support this? Most people
> will access the DOM through whatever interface we define.

Mike's support is that back when this SIG agreed upon attribute access as well
as _get/_set ops, most people said they'd prefer to just use plain attribute
access anyway, and the _get/_set was only needed for completeness.

Do you have any support to contradict his assertion?

> I'm not. I would prefer to see accessor functions for
> DOM attributes that are a part of the API and whos names
> don't begin with '_'s.
>
> > then we should start down this path.
>
> Whatever path we start down, it should begin with a draft
> that documements the DOM mapping for Python.

I'm working on it.

> > langauge mapping is something we can put into the next release of 4DOM
> > (something we've been meaning to do any ways).  The rest of the cahnges
> > are actually in place (unless we define a different callback naming
> > convention).  We will be slowly depricating _get_* soon as well.
> > However we will still need __setattr__ callbacks in some cases....
>
> Not if you go to accessor functions instead of attribute-based access.

Not a problem for our uses.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101