[XML-SIG] XML in Python 1.6 (PROPOSAL)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:31:29 -0700

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> "xmlextra" is fine.  It would be nice to invent a way to automatically
> add things to the xml.* namespace, but that seems difficult and
> error-prone.

As an aside: couldn't Python's package mechanism union the contents of
the various packages the way Java does? Perhaps it is a little harder
with the __init__.py stuff....

> The name change simplifies a good many things, and we don't want to
> break things *after* 1.6, so let's get it over with now.  My great
> fear is breaking existing code and what's worse, Sean's book.  (I'll
> have to buy a copy and see what would need to be preserved to keep the
> examples running.)

Well, Pyxie uses pyexpat, which we probably broke when we "fixed" the
attribute handling to use a dictionary instead of a list and it can also
use SAX1, which we would break if we renamed the package.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski