[XML-SIG] Proposal: Marrying SAX2 and DOM

09 Mar 2000 09:40:14 +0100

* Ken MacLeod

| What I would like to propose is that the Python SAX2 binding pass
| objects, specifically DOM-conformant objects, as a single parameter
| rather than using both positional parameters and callbacks.

Ken, I've been thinking about this, and while this sounds like a good
idea, I'm beginning to think that this is something better built on
top of SAX than done as part of it.

The reason I think so is that I would like to enable SAX to be the
lowest common denominator XML representation used for parser output,
XML generation, application-to-application communication etc And if
SAX is to play this role it has to be both simple and lightweight.

Also, ideally I would like to see several alternatives for easy XML
application building on top of SAX (easySAX, Pyxie, saxdom?, ...),
thus giving developers more than one alternative, and also making it
more likely that what we end up with is the best (or at least most
popular) variant.

Any other opinions on this?

--Lars M.