[XML-SIG] PyDOM and 4DOM

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:39:10 -0500 (EST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>Has any thought been given to the fate of PyDOM?  Will it be
>effectively discontinued?  Do we think it would be good if someone
>were to take it over and continue work on it?  Or would we prefer
>there to be only one DOM implementation for Python?

It's a lot of work to maintain a DOM implementation, and that job will
only get harder as more levels of DOM Recommendations get added.  It
seemed pointless for me to keep maintaining PyDOM when the 4DOM people
are maintaining an implementation, too; why not focus development
effort on one project instead of two?

If someone wants to maintain PyDOM, or to write their own Python DOM
implementation (which would be the 4th), they're perfectly free to do
so, of course!

    "You know, when we heard you'd debunked Neola, we were afraid you'd gone
over to the other side."
    "Nah -- the hours stink but the pay's good."
    -- Frohike and Mulder, in X-FILES #3