[XML-SIG] Expat and layering (was: Divorcing SAX2 and DOM)

16 Mar 2000 11:42:05 +0100

* Paul Prescod

| In both Perl and Python there will be a particular parser that is
| considered "standard" -- Expat. It makes sense to hook up EventDOM
| (or whatever it is called) and Expat directly.

* Greg Stein

| I'm not sure if it is being considered, but anything beyond a small
| shim over Expat would be Bothersome(tm). SAX drivers, DOMs, etc
| "should" be in layers over the top of that.

The way I picture it we would have Pyexpat (for direct access to
expat), a SAX driver for Pyexpat (perhaps made direct later) and SAX
input to EventDOM (also direct access to expat or Pyexpat).  That
would give us maximum flexibility with minimum performance cost.

I don't know if this is what everyone else is thinking, though.

--Lars M.