[XML-SIG] Noisier PyExpat error handling?

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:15:31 -0500

I'm going over the PyExpat module to be sure it's ready for inclusion
in the Python CVS tree.  One point about its error handling is
disquieting; it hews very closely to the C Expat interface, so that a
parser error returns a 0, while success returns a 1.  You then need to
call pyexpat.ErrorString( p.ErrorCode ) to find out what went wrong.

Pythonic principle #10 is "Errors should never pass silently"; should
the module be changed to raise an exception on a parse error?  (Best
to break compatibility now, while we still can...)

    "That's kind of my uh sort of a joke."
    "That's right, George. It differs from the usual kind of joke only in the
vast gulf between it and any kind of a sense of humor."
    -- George's face and Wanda, in SANDMAN #36: "Over the Sea to Sky"