[XML-SIG] Noisier error handling all 'round?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:07:06 -0500 (EST)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > But that begs the question of what saxlib does and it does NOT, by
 > default raise an exception. It should. For all parsers the driver should
 > set it up so that the "default error handler" raises an exception.

  I agree.  I seem to recall the rationalization of the time was that
traditional SGML parsers (sgmls, nsgmls, ...) reported the error on
stderr and kept going as long as they could recover.  (I don't recall
just who made that argument, though; I don't *think* it was me!)  If
someone wants an nsgmls clone in Python they can write the appropriate
error handler and install it, since error handling policies really are
part of the application's domain.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>