[XML-SIG] Expat module landing in CVS tree

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:50:32 -0500 (EST)

It's time to add the Expat module to the Python 1.5.2+ CVS tree.
In January we decided:

    * PyExpat's interface will be changed to be SAX-like, and we'll
      lobby Guido to add PyExpat to 1.6, along with Expat itself.  It
      will be renamed, preferably to something with SAX in the name.
      (expat_sax? pysax?  pyxml? whatever...)  It'll be updated to
      support all the features in current versions of Expat; Jim
      Fulton has an updated version of PyExpat inside Zope that will
      probably be used.

(From IPC8 DevDay summary, archived at
http://www.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2000-January/003501.html )

Paul Prescod wound up rewriting the module to support all of Expat's
features, but the interface is still basically the same, and not very
SAXish.  I think in subsequent follow-ups it was decided to leave the
Expat module as it was, and add SAX in Python code on top of the C
extension.

Q. Does the module need to be renamed from 'pyexpat', since its
   interface wasn't really changed?
Q. Where should 1.6 install it?  As a new top-level module?
   Or in an xml.parsers?  (The latter poses tricky installation problems;
   does the XML distribution now install itself on top of an xml/parsers/
   directory created by Python?  Ick...)

We'll worry about SAX later.

UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT Information is
ENCOURAGED.
  -- Robert E. McElwaine