[XML-SIG] Re: [I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Unicode debate

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 02 May 2000 14:23:27 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> So what do you think of my new proposal of using ASCII as the default
> "encoding"?

I can live with it. I am mildly uncomfortable with the idea that I could
write a whole bunch of software that works great until some European
inserts one of their name characters. Nevertheless, being hard-assed is
better than being permissive because we can loosen up later.

What do we do about str( my_unicode_string )? Perhaps escape the Unicode
characters with backslashed numbers?

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html