[XML-SIG] How to get 4DOM to output empty <elements />

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Tue, 09 May 2000 14:46:29 +0300

Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> was heard to say:
> | > Perfectly legit. In XML, there is no distinction between
> |
> | He said XHTML not XML, a standard supposed to be bacwards compatible.
>
> I understand that, but it's also supposed to be XML. The most emphatic
> thing that the XHTML spec could say is that one form or the other is
> preferred. XHTML has to obey the rules of XML.

My understanding was that XHTML was supposed to define a subset of XML
that is also HTML (and actually accepted and rendered more-or-less ok).

It is always hard to tell what a recommendation in a "standard" means.

For example, if you follow just the requirements and not the
recommendations when programming java applets, they usually won't work
in the same way on different browsers (or don't work at all).

Hannu