[XML-SIG] How to get 4DOM to output empty <elements />

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 09 May 2000 20:55:20 -0600

> > Can't say off-hand if there's a way to make 4DOM produce empty-element
> > tags; don't have the source code here at work...
>
> ... so I'd still like to know the answer to this question.  Plus the
> empty-element style just looks better to my eyes.

There isn't and there should be, if only for readibility.  What do users
think?  There are two issues here:

A) Should the default for printing empty XML elements be the short or long
form?  Any different for HTML (note that the CVS 4DOM fixes bugs with HTML 4.0
elements forbidden to have an end tag).

B) Should the printers accept optional argumuments that are lists of elements
to always shorten if empty (or vice-versa if the answer to A is "yes)

I say "yes" to both of the above.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Senior Software Engineer
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101