[XML-SIG] SAX 2.0: Main open issues

17 May 2000 18:50:24 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

|  - Should parsers accept Unicode input? If so, what form does it
|  take in the InputSource object?

* Uche Ogbuji

| I think they should definitely support Unicode input.

Agreed; that was kind of a rhetorical question.

| I'm not clear on what you mean by "form", but I think they should be
| either UTF-8 or the new u"foo" strings from Python 1.6.

For IncrementalParser.feed this does indeed make sense and I think it
should be that way. However, in InputSource we need a stream. Python
1.6a2 has Unicode streams (wrappers around file-like objects) in the
codecs module, although they aren't usable yet.

What I'm wondering is basically:

  - would pyexpat accept Unicode string objects as arguments to
    parser.Parse? (xmllib does (on feed), and I would think xmlproc
    also does, although I haven't tried yet)

  - if we support codecs.StreamReader as character streams, how do we
    handle this in JPython?

* Lars Marius Garshol

|  - Extra properties/features:
|
|    - Which are they?

* Uche Ogbuji

| Until the whole Unicode story is straightened out, do we make the
| answers to your above questions properties?

No. See the mail about extra features and properties.

* Lars Marius Garshol

|  - What domain are they in? python.org? Something else? One
|  alternative may be garshol.priv.no, which I own. python.org seems
|  by far the best.

* Uche Ogbuji

| I'd say python.org, if we can get it.  If not, we can ask David
| Megginson about python.sax.org.  If not, your domain would do.

This was exactly what I was thinking. I use my domain now, in a way
that makes it easy to change painlessly. Who should I contact to ask
for delegation of part of the python.org namespace?

* Lars Marius Garshol

|  - Name representation:
|
|    - Agree 100% on the representation of namespace-affected names.

* Uche Ogbuji

| I agree 100%

:-)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| - Bundling with Python 1.6:
|
|   - Can we finish on time?

* Uche Ogbuji

| Ha!  And of course, would GvR accept somethign new in the second
| beta?  Is there no feature-freeze?

I have no idea.

| [What should be included?]
|
| That's the major sticking point.  There is little agreement even
| within this group.  The only thing I've heard everyone champion for
| 1.6 is EasyDOM/EasySAX.

In that case I can relax. :-)

That seems difficult to achieve, though.  Paul is busy (I think), and
I'm too bound up with SAX 2.0 and the book to be able to do it.

--Lars M.