[XML-SIG] XML status, historical data and hierarchy

tpassin@home.com tpassin@home.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:05:44 -0400

<mikl@club-internet.fr> asked

> Hi,
>
> I have a question on the way I could structure my XML document to solve
this
> problem:
>
> I need to manipulate actions. Actions are created as prevision, with a
> previsionnal duration.
> If someone is intereted in achieving this action, he can propose to be
> responsible for this action. He can even propose a different estimated
> duration. The status is changing from prevision to proposition.
>
> If this action is accepted, the status change to currently being
processed,
> and the estimated duration can be renegociated.
>
> Then, the personn can finish his duration with one or several achieved
> actions, each with a definitive duration.
>
> This is the simplest case, because the personn in charge of this action
can
> divide it into several other previsionnal actions and ask for a volunteer.
The
> same process can be deeply nested.
>
> My problem is that I hardly can figure out how you would model this thing
in
> XML.

The problem is not in the XML, but how you model this as an abstract data
model.  Once you know that, you can translate it into XML. From your
description, it sounds like the model would be recursive, each project
action possibly containing other project actions subject to certain
constraints.  Get your data model designed, then the XML will probably be
apparent.

Tom Passin