[XML-SIG] XML serialization / marshalling via DTD

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
31 May 2000 13:39:50 -0500

george willis <gwillis@mail.com> writes:

> Nothing is "wrong" with SOAP, or its predessesor XML-RPC -- they are
> just not object serialization mechanisms, but rather RPC mechanisms
> that use XML to transport data.
>
> To get reusable code, we must think abstract.  XML is nothing more
> and nothing less than a universal standard for the representation of
> serialized object models for transport between systems.  What is
> needed is a generic serializer/deserializer like that found in java.

You may not have been following SOAP recently, SOAP 1.1 clearly
seperates envelope, object encoding, RPC, and HTTP binding.  The part
you are possibly looking for is object encoding (section 5).  Most
implementations will have a generic serializer/deserializer for that
encoding.

The W3C is working on defining what their role will be in XML
protocols, you can follow or participate by joining the xml-dist-app
mailing list.  Most of what you're talking about is exactly what has
been discussed on that mailing list:

  <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/>

  -- Ken