[XML-SIG] Help building XML-related Python RPM?

Norman Walsh ndw@nwalsh.com
02 Nov 2000 09:18:50 -0500

Ok, I admit this is somewhat off-topic, but I'm hoping you'll forgive
me. I'm trying to build a binary RPM for a Python XML package (the LT
XML[1] package from the HCRC Language Technology Group[2] which is
required in order to support the XSV Schema Validator[3], for the
curious).

The difficulty is that I have no experience building RPMs. I'm hoping
someone can send me a pointer to the "how to build an RPM"
documentation and an RPM that's sufficiently like the one I need to
build that I can steal most of what I need from it :-)

In a nutshell, what the package needs to install is

 1. [/usr/local]/lib/ltxml12
 2. [/usr/local]/include/ltxml12
 3. [/usr/local]/bin/{some apps}
 4. [/usr/local]/lib/python1.6/site-packages/PyLTXML

Where I presume the tricky bit in the RPM is figuring out if Python1.6
is installed (and what the other dependencies are) and what
[/usr/local] really should be.

Help?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm