[XML-SIG] XML to Object translation

23 Nov 2000 14:05:35 +0100

* mal@lemburg.com

| This sounds really cool :-)

Thank you. :-)

| I presume though, that the classes you mention in the transformation
| must exist somewhere to be instantiated, right ?

Not necessarily.  Since you know the fields you can perfectly well
create dynamic objects, but it would be good if the declaration could
also be used to instantiate classes that already exist.  It should
definitely be possible to do so.

| Even though the above only describes the unpickling process, I think
| the idea may also work the other way around.

Maybe.  I have to confess that I was only thinking of the problem of
unpickling from a format designed by someone else or to be independent
of the unpickling process.  In other cases, things like SOAP, WDDX and
so on are probably better, since they require no declarations.

| In any case, this would go a looong way in helping Python read XML
| files into Python objects (rather than DOM trees).

I hope so.  It also needs to handle references and reuse of classes,
but those shouldn't be too hard to add.

--Lars M.