[XML-SIG] XML to Object translation

23 Nov 2000 14:43:56 +0100

* Lars Marius Garshol

| The idea is basically that when you have an XML document of a
| particular type (say RSS) you make a mapping file that describes how
| to create an object structure from the file. For RSS this might look
| as shown below.

* Rich Salz

| I wonder if the syntax of that mapping file could be XSLT?

As I wrote it the syntax uses XPath and the concepts (especially the
list thing) certainly owe a lot to XSLT.

I was thinking that one might create an XML application that described
object structures and then use XSLT to map to it, but I think this
idea works better, in the sense that I think it is simpler and easier
to use, being more specific to one purpose.

However, if anyone would do something similar using XSLT I would be
interested to look at it and compare the resulting XML documents (that
is, the mapping I made and the XSLT mapping stylesheet).

--Lars M.