[XML-SIG] DOM API conundrum

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:25:55 -0500 (EST)

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > I'm in favour of advocating the "native attributes" API, but I don't
 > see to deprecate the accessor functions. If you document minidom, it
 > may be reasonable not to mention them at all. However, "deprecate" to
 > me means "may not be available in future versions". I don't see any
 > reason to remove them from 4DOM, or discourage users from using them
 > there, when they feel more comfortable with calling functions (as they
 > may have learned from Java).

  If the _get_/_set_ methods should be allowed as part of the API,
then I think they should be required, otherwise DOM client code still
can't work with all DOMs that otherwise offer the same functionality.
Should these methods and the direct attribute access both be required?
I thought that was part of the problem we had been trying to avoid.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations