[XML-SIG] Re: SAX exceptions are odd

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

  MvL> I'd like to caution again: No matter what string is taken now,
  MvL> it will have to stay forever. Other tools will expect that a
  MvL> certain Python application formats its XML error messages in a
  MvL> certain way, and they will whine if that is ever changed.

  MvL> If that consequence is accepted, then it's fine with me to
  MvL> change that string...

What tools are there that depend on the string representation of the
exception object raised by a Python library?  The proposal is not to
change the API of the exception object, just what gets printed when
the program exits.

It would be bad form for an external program to depend in some way on
the error messages Python prints.  There is definitely no guarantee
that they will remain unchanged from version to version.

Jeremy