[XML-SIG] How to proceed

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 01:08:06 +0200

> xmlproc
>   This needs to be updated to XML 1.0 2nd ed, extended with Unicode
>   support and a SAX 2.0 driver (I have 95% of one ready) and also
>   improved in various ways.

It's probably in the interest of PyXML users to get updates to xmlproc
together with PyXML updates, instead of collecting things from various
sources - so yes, I'd like to see your continuing support for this
parser in PyXML.

> saxlib
>   I plan for this package to contain lots of SAX 2.0-related
>   utilities, like DOM2SAX walkers, XInclude and XBase filters, more
>   advanced parser instantiation tools, more drivers etc.

It sounds like a good idea to offer more functionality in
saxlib. However, we have to be careful that PyXML continues to be a
strict superset of Python 2.0. To achieve that, I'd like to see the
2.0-provided functionality be split-off before adding more
stuff. Then, it should be possible to use saxlib in a line-by-line
identical form with 2.0 (e.g. by having xml.sax.saxlib20), and still
provide extra functionality in xml.sax.saxlib.

I'd also like to hear opinions on *where* this functionality should be
located - if it is not clearly specific to SAX, xml.sax may not be the
right place.

Regards,
Martin