[XML-SIG] PyXML home page on SF

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:18:41 +0200 (CEST)

[maintaining a pythonforge.org would take time and ressources]

Yes. But I understand a commercial company (BeOpen) has taken over python
development. I think it is the kind of free services they could give
back to the python community.

> > That would be pyxml.pythonforge.org, distutils.pythonforge.org, etc. :-=
)
>=20
> I'd personally hope that python.org becomes accessible in that
> way. You could probably have all of the current content there, and
> then also have python.org/projects/pyxml; python.org/users/someone;
> xml.python.org (and whatever other gimmicks they offer).
>
> One advantage of taking things off SF is that responsiveness of that
> system was really bad. That seems to have improved recently;

My concern is not about responsiveness as much as distribution (as in
Internet is a distributed system). SourceForge is a great service. Good.
Now are we to host every single open source project on SourceForge ? If we
do so, the day SourceForge closes or changes its policy, or whatever,
every single open source project will be halted or maybe discontinued.

The people at SourceForge know their job: they provide a good service and
the tools (code+doc) to implement that same service at other places.

Why wouldn't a community as big an active as python's put up ressources in
common to offer such a useful service, but dedicated to python
development ? There use to be a python.starship.net, maintained by
volunteers, that is now hosted by BeOpen. Why not take the next step ?

> if anybody is to host a similar server, they need to be aware that it
> is probably hard to compete with SF in terms of provided services. For
> example, I trust that SF has a reasonable backup strategy - they
> simply can't risk a desaster. Anybody hosting a server for just a few
> projects would not get the same sort of trust from me.

That's why I think we shouldn't look for someone able to host a server for
a few projects but for some company(ies) able to put up the ressources for
"python projects" and volunteers that help them.

That would also make it easier for people to look for python ressources:
code in development would be at something.python.org and 3rd party
software at www.vex.net/parnassus. But I would agree that's a weak
argument as long as www.python.org continues to be well-maintained with
no broken links and stays the central hub for python information.

I'm sure several people from PythonLabs are on this list. What is their
opinion ?

--=20
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais o=F9 est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (F=