[XML-SIG] Xalan and Xerces...

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:40:50 -0600

As a Fourthought principal, I've avoided comment thus far, but...

> It seems to me that a precious opportunity to become *the* language of
> choice for cross-platform XML development is being lost by the Python
> community. Python's SAX support is good, but it's DOM support to date is
> less than "industrial strength", and doesn't look as if it will be for some
> time yet.

Odd statement, that.  As Lars discovered with his cross-platform DOM
test-suite (and reported to the www-dom list), 4DOM is one of the most
compliant DOM implementations available for any platform.  Why do you think
it's less than "industrial-strength"?

> If Python had production quality XML/XSL support and a core Apache module (I
> realise there are two or more such modules existing, but again IMHO they are
> not well focused by the community, and of unverified / unproven strength)
> then Python could capitalise on a cross-platform web-development role.

For core Apache modules, see mod_snake.  It's great stuff.  We use it in the
soon-to-be-released 4Suite Server.