[XML-SIG] Re: How to proceed

24 Oct 2000 13:50:55 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| My idea for saxlib is that it should be a toolkit with SAX
| 2.0-related add-ons. I didn't really intend for it to contain SAX
| 2.0 itself, just useful drivers, filters and similar kinds of
| utilities.

* Martin v. Loewis

| And I see that I was just confusing it with saxutils, sorry - there
| is no need to synchronize saxlib with Python 2.0 [as that has no
| xml.sax.saxlib].

I think we should stop calling it saxlib, since that just seems to
confuse people.  I'm thinking that it should not be a part of SAX 2.0,
but that it should be a set of useful utilities and also some add-ons.
(The LexicalHandler and DeclHandler will be in there, for example.)

My list of the contents, as I currently envision it is:

 - extensions
   - LexicalHandler
   - DeclHandler

 - extra drivers
   - JPython driver
   - SP driver
   - xmllib/sgmlop driver
   - RXP driver
   (xmlproc driver will be part of xmlproc: xml.parsers.xmlproc.drv_xmlproc)

 - utilities
   - ErrorPrinter, ErrorRaiser, ErrorRecorder
   - EventTracer
   - XBaseFilter, XIncludeFilter
   - ParserManager
   - DOM2SAX event generator
   - CanonicalXMLGenerator
   - DTDValidatingFilter, SchemaValidatingFilter

So maybe saxkit or saxpack would be a better name.

| For xml.sax.saxlib, there is then only the backwards compatibility
| concern with SAX1 - we probably have to support the SAX1 classes in
| saxlib as long as people have SAX1 applications.

I think we should use a different module, possibly even a different
package. Would xml.saxkit.* work? Or xml.saxexts.*? Or xml.saxpack.*?

Comments would be very welcome, as I have some of this stuff already,
and would like to be able to place it where it belongs.

--Lars M.