[XML-SIG] Re: How to proceed

24 Oct 2000 16:23:56 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Does this belong in the XML-SIG package?  I think it does, but it
| would be nice to have feedback.

* Fred L. Drake, Jr.

| I think so.  I think of PyXML as a fairly substantial package that
| provides all sorts of general XML-related support that is useful for
| a wide range of applications, but might not be included in the
| "core" support packaged with Python.  Andrew described it as an
| "omnibus" package in the early days of PyXML, and I think that's a
| good description.

I agree, this is how I think of it as well.  So it looks like the SAX
extras package will be called saxtools, have the package name
xml.saxtools.* and live in the XML-SIG package.

| The only thing I'd like to see changed in that regard is that
| development may be better off within PyXML rather than using
| separate CVS repositories for components (xmlproc, 4DOM, etc.), so
| that changes get broader testing a little earlier.

I agree.  My plan for the future is to maintain xmlproc, javadom and
saxtools in the PyXML CVS tree.

However, this still leave the question of the two XML applications
open.  Do rsskit and dtddoc belong in the XML-SIG package?  I don't
think they do, but there have been requests to me from people who
would like to see them there.

So I have to decide between using the PyXML package, separate SF
projects or hosting development myself.

--Lars M.